Added Russell Wolff, Executive Vice President and Managing Director, ESPN International, “We are thrilled to be working with a fellow innovator like Econet to bring ESPN and SportsCenter back to television screens in Africa and expanding the Kwesé and ESPN digital connection with fans. This launch is just the beginning of how these two great companies will serve fans Africa.”
African viewers can look forward to thousands of hours of ESPN content which will be licensed to Kwesé. Including both live sports and award-winning original programming, the content will appear across the ESPN and Kwesé Sport channels.
Post launch programming schedule for March includes exclusive broadcast of:
· March Madness - With the regular season out of the way 68 teams will bid to be crowned NCAA Basketball Champions. Starting 15 March, the month of March will see teams whittled down through the Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight and Final 4 until a Championship which will be broadcast on April 4!
· X Games - Norway: The event takes place in Lillehammer, Norway and features some of the greatest freestyle skiers and snowboarders of our time. The world class action sports action and commentary showcases the skills of many of the world’s top winter sports athletes in front of huge crowds, creating a fantastic viewing experience.
· Indy Car 2017: The Grand Prix of St Petersburg is the first of 17 stops on this year’s IndyCar Calendar. Frenchman Simon Pagenaud will be out to defend his driver’s championship, as they tackle the street circuit on March 12.
· AFL: Thanks to ESPN, Aussie Rules football is back with a bang as the season opens on March 23rd with matches taking place in iconic venues like the MCG in Melbourne. Eighteen teams go in pursuit of a place in the Grand Final and the chance to take home the title on September 30.
· Original Programming: In addition to the original SportsCenter programme, the channel will include ESPN Films Award-Winning 30 For 30 documentaries, and a range of additional studio programming such as ESPN FC, Pardon The Interruption, Around The Horn, College Gameday and more. Kwesé also already licenses NFL-related programming – including NFL Live, NFL Countdown and more – from ESPN, as part of a TV rights deal with the NFL, brokered by ESPN Media Distribution
Kwesé also features coverage of the Premier League, Formula One, Cricket Australia, Aviva Premiership Rugby, The Spanish Copa Del Rey, Brazilian football, Extreme Fighting Championship and so much more.
Kwesé / Econet:
Reatile Tekateka Reatile@econetmedia.com, +27 11 996 5600
Paul Melvin firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 860 766 5069