Monday 24 August 2015

Pedro's Barcelona farewell: Joining Chelsea a risk but I had to leave


The new Blues forward revealed his main motivation was to have regular playing time in a farewell press conference for his former side.

New Chelsea winger Pedro reveals it was not money but the need to compete with Lionel Messi, Neymar and Luis Suarez for a starting spot at Barcelona that drove him to leave the Catalans.
The La Masia graduate won the treble last season and extended his contract at the club in June till 2019, but regularly had to settle for a spot on the bench as the Blaugrana's famed attacking triumvirate took centre-stage.

A long running transfer saga regarding the 28-year-old's future came to a close when he opted to join Chelsea last Thursday, and Pedro has now revealed he left Barcelona in search of regular playing time.

"It was not about money. It was the need to play consistently," he told assembled reporters at his farewell press conference in Barcelona.
"I'm sad in a way, to be leaving. There was an option to stay, that's what the club wanted. I discussed it with everyone but the Chelsea offer attracted me.
"The easiest thing would have been to stay, it's a difficult decision. I am taking a risk but I am decided.

"Barcelona is the best club in the world, there's no other place like this. But I've joined a club I like and where I will play more. Last season was one of my worst, because there was a lot of competition and I didn't have enough playing time.
"I'm ambitious and I knew it would be difficult to have a lot playing time here. I'm happy to have this new challenge.

"I was very flattered by the interest from some of England's biggest clubs like Manchester United, City and Chelsea, but Chelsea's offer convinced me most. I talked with [Blues coach] Jose Mourinho, it's true he called me. I liked what he said. He convinced me.

"The atmosphere in the Premier League is fantastic, the stadiums are always full and it's an attractive league for spectators."

Pedro made an immediate impact on his debut with the English champions, scoring a goal and assisting another as his new team overcame West Brom 3-2 on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment